Here is the list of the sixteen founders of the Villa de Santiago del Saltillo present day Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico. I extracted the following portrait of Alberto del Canto and the names of the founders from the book titled “The Conquistadores and the Crypto-Jews of Monterrey.
Among the list are 3 of my ancestors that I know of. I have included their relationship next to their names. Saltillo was founded in 1577.
Mural depicting the Founding of Saltillo by Alberto del Canto
List of the Sixteen Founders of Villa de Santiago del Saltillo
- Captain Alberto del Canto, Portuguese (my 10th great grandfather)
- Juan Alonso, Portuguese
- Julian Gutierrez
- Rodrigo Perez
- Cristobal de Sagastiberri, Basque
- Agustin de Villa Sur
- Santos Rojo, Basque.
- Manuel de Zirua
- Juan de Erbaez, Basque
- Manuel de Mederos, Portuguese
- Antonio Hernandez Grimon
- Baldo Cortes, Spaniard
- Juan Navarro, Basque (my 12th great grandfather)
- Mateo de Barrasa
- Juan Perez Chocallo, Portuguese
- Gines Hernandez, Portuguese
- Baltazar Castano de Sosa, Portuguese (my 11th great grandfather)
Let me know int he comments if your ancestors are also listed in this list. If you are interested also in the early settlers of Saltillo I highly recommend that you check out my previous post: Aquellos Primeros Saltillenses, eBook by María Elena Santoscoy Flores
If you would like to get notified when new posts are published and receive our free monthly news letter please join our mailing list. You can do so here.