While conducting Genealogy Research I came across “The Conquistadores and the Crypto-Jews of Monterrey” by David T. Raphael. It turned out to be an excellent book. It is full of great genealogical information, many of my own ancestors are mentioned within it’s pages. there is even a whole chapter dedicated to my 11th great grandfather Diego de Montemayor. Another whole chapter is dedicated to my de la Garza ancestors.
What I really loved about this book was Gaspar de Castanos entry into New Mexico and his brush with the Pueblo Indians. It is in my opinion an amazing chapter that shows clearly a first hand account of how the Spaniards with way less numbers than the local population would conquer them.
After reading this book it is now one of my favorite. It not only provides great information but also contains transcriptions of original documents. You may also want to pay attention to the citations since that will lead you to more clues.
Book Cover of The Conquistadores and the Crypto-Jews of Monterrey
Book description from the distributor:
Among the cities in Mexico, Monterrey has a mystique all its own marked by the enduring “Jewish question” regarding its founding in 1596. The historian, Vito Alessio Robles, made the statement that “all the citizens of Monterrey are descended from Jews.” Includes chapters on early prominent founders and families, Alberto del Canto, Luis de Carvajal, Gaspar Castaño de Sosa, Diego de Montemayor, Founder of Monterrey, The Garzas of Lepe and Monterrey, Francisco Báez de Benavides and the Martínez of Marin. This book reviews the evidence.
Where to borrow or Buy your own Copy:
If you have read this book or once you read it please let me know your opinions about it. I know that it will help you out in your own Genealogy Research.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017