La Lomita Chapel is located 3 miles south of Expressway 83 on FM 1016 in Mission, Texas. La Lomita was first built in 1865 by Rene Guyard, whom was a French merchant from Reynosa. He had purchased the land in 1845.
Guyard left this site and porciones 55 and 57 to the Oblate priests in 1871 and La Lomita soon became an important site for the Calvary of Christ, the Oblate missionaries who rode up and down the Rio Grande Valley visiting widely separated Catholic churches, baptizing newborns, performing marriage ceremonies, and blessing the dead.
I found the following two post cards on ebay
The following photo is how La Lomita looks in present day, I found this photo in the city of Mission website.
You can read more about this Chapel Here:
For Many Great Photos check this link out:
- Censo de Reynosa 1890 - September 19, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Nine - September 14, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eight - September 7, 2017
- 1696 Death Record of Leonor de Ayala in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, mexico - September 5, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Seven - August 31, 2017
- 1778 Baptism of Maria Juana de Dios Lopez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - August 29, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Six - August 24, 2017
- 1806 Church Marriage of Jose Antonio Garcia and Maria Andrea Lopez - June 27, 2017
- Indios, Frailes y Encomenderos en el Nuevo Reino de Leon Siglos XVII y XVIII - June 22, 2017
- 1810 Marriage of Jose Rafael de La Garza and Maria Tomasa Sanchez - June 20, 2017