Many people have deep roots in La Grulla, Texas as is the case with my wife’s family. Her ancestors arrived at or near La Grulla back in the 1860’s starting with her 2nd great grandfather Jose Encarnacion del Refugio Perez whom was born in General Teran, Nuevo Leon. It is unknown if he returned back to Mexico but what is clear is that his son Jose Francisco Perez did stay and did make a life in this area. He even married a local girl Paula Contreras whose life was cut short by a snake bite back in 1921 dying in La Grulla. Leaving behind 5 small children and a one year old baby. You can see a picture of Paula and Francisco in a previous post: Photo of Paula Contreras Garza and Francisco Perez Lozano
You may be asking your self as to why I titled this post “Holy Family Catholic Church of La Grulla, Texas”. Well one of those small children grew up to be Francisco Perez whom helped build the roof of this church. His children and grandchildren attended and continue to attend this same church. I also just wanted to share the awesome picture, taken by my friend Jimmy Martinez, that reminded me of this story.
Photo of the Holy Family Catholic Church of La Grulla, Texas
I believe this church was built in the late 60’s to early 70’s but I am not sure. Hopefully someone can tell us more about it int he future or if you know leave us a comment.
More from WeAreCousins
- The Kingdom of Nuevo Leon, The Cradle of Coahuila, Tejas and Nuevo Santander - December 7, 2017
- 1816 Baptism of Maria Tomasa Gonzalez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 5, 2017
- Archivo General del Estado de Coahuila Boletín Digital - November 30, 2017
- 1793 Death Record of Jose Balentin de Olivares in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 28, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1753-1763 - November 23, 2017
- 1827 Marriage of Jose Manuel Lopez and Maria Cecilia de la Garza in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 21, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017