I found the following image of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe on ebay being sold as a print. If you search for it you will not have any problems finding it. The original drawing is in possession of the United States Library of Congress.
I thought that this was a nice drawing since it shows the cathedral as it was in August 10 1846.
From the information that I could find it seems that the Cathedral was built in 1789 and it is of a Franciscan design. As you can see the above picture shows a very humble church and it also seems as if it is still not completed.
On the picture below you can see a more modern picture of it from about the 1950’s.
Now days it seems that only it’s tower survived since the rest of the building does not resemble that above picture. It is located near next to the more modern Cathedral.
Why is this church important?
This is the actual church were many of our ancestors celebrated their weddings and baptisms. Where they once sat to praise the Lord and give thanks for what they had. I just wish that this building had had a better fate.
If anyone else knows more about this church please let us now in the comments area.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017