Anyone doing Genealogy research in South Texas and Northeastern Mexico at one point, while doing research, cannot help but stumble into Mary Jo Galindo’s Dissertation “Con Un Pie En Cada Lado: Ethnicities and the Archaeology of Spanish Colonial Ranching Communities Along the Lower Río Grande Valley” which is a great 353 page work about South Texas and Northeastern Mexico Ranching and its early families.
Cover page of Dissertation:
Once you read this Dissertation your views about the settlement, people, and ranchos about this area will completely be transformed. She describes her Dissertation in her own words:
This dissertation involves archaeological excavations and historical analyses of ranches and towns associated with this border in order to understand the nature and articulation of the ranch and town settlements, the types of household production and livestock raising that sustained them, their trade relationships as reflected in their material culture, and the complex issues of ethnic identity construction along a contested border through time. Although my primary goal is to shed new light on a process of colonization and adaptation to a border context that went on a century before the more-studied Anglo-American colonization of the region, this is also a personal journey, because I am a descendant of these early pobladores and my family’s roots are in this border region.
In this document she also provides a unique map of the Mier Porciones of which I have not been able to find anywhere else. She also has family trees and talks about families that are direct ancestors of mine through my paternal side, the Gonzalez from Rancho Los Arrieros (porciones 20 and 21) and Guerra from present day Los Guerra (porcion 6). Give it a read you will enjoy it, it is very detailed and informative.
|Image from Galindo’s Dissertation pg 7 showing the
colonial ranches of Laredo, Dolores, Revilla, Mier,
This map will provide you with an idea of the area that the dissertation talks about. Be sure and download it and place it with your eBook collection.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017