Anyone doing Genealogy research in South Texas and Northeastern Mexico at one point, while doing research, cannot help but stumble into Mary Jo Galindo’s Dissertation “Con Un Pie En Cada Lado: Ethnicities and the Archaeology of Spanish Colonial Ranching Communities Along the Lower Río Grande Valley” which is a great 353 page work about South Texas and Northeastern Mexico Ranching and its early families.
Cover page of Dissertation:
Once you read this Dissertation your views about the settlement, people, and ranchos about this area will completely be transformed. She describes her Dissertation in her own words:
This dissertation involves archaeological excavations and historical analyses of ranches and towns associated with this border in order to understand the nature and articulation of the ranch and town settlements, the types of household production and livestock raising that sustained them, their trade relationships as reflected in their material culture, and the complex issues of ethnic identity construction along a contested border through time. Although my primary goal is to shed new light on a process of colonization and adaptation to a border context that went on a century before the more-studied Anglo-American colonization of the region, this is also a personal journey, because I am a descendant of these early pobladores and my family’s roots are in this border region.
In this document she also provides a unique map of the Mier Porciones of which I have not been able to find anywhere else. She also has family trees and talks about families that are direct ancestors of mine through my paternal side, the Gonzalez from Rancho Los Arrieros (porciones 20 and 21) and Guerra from present day Los Guerra (porcion 6). Give it a read you will enjoy it, it is very detailed and informative.
|Image from Galindo’s Dissertation pg 7 showing the
colonial ranches of Laredo, Dolores, Revilla, Mier,
This map will provide you with an idea of the area that the dissertation talks about. Be sure and download it and place it with your eBook collection.
More from WeAreCousins
- 1692 Marriage of Joseph Villarreal and Maria Oropeza in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 23, 2018
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017