This past November the 18th the University of Texas Pan American now the University of South Texas unveiled the gift that John Cantu gave them. It was a life size statue of Jose de Escandon the founder of Las Villas del Norte. Jose de Escandon’s main goal was to colonize el Nuevo Santander. According to Guillermo Garmendia Leal’s book “Fundadores de Tamaulipas 1748 – 17770” Jose de Escandon stablished 16 Villas.
I recently had lunch with Mr Cantu and my friend Mario Davila. During this lunch Mr. Cantu stated that he commissioned Escandon’s statue to make him look young and of how he might have had looked in 1749 when he started his efforts in the colonization of what we now know as las Villas del Norte (Present day Northeastern Mexico and South Texas). He also mentions that his main motive for the donation was his mother. He stated that she was a very strong advocate for Hispanic education and heritage.
Pictures Taken During the Unveiling by Mario Davila:
Mr. Cantu is the Second from left. Unfortunately I do not have the names of the other gentlemen in the picture.
Next time you are in Edinburg, Texas check the statue out. Finally, I want to thank Mr. Cantu for this donation. I am sure that many students will learn about Jose de Escandon when their interest is awaken by this statue. Hopefully this can lead to more young people being more proud of whom they are and their heritage
More from WeAreCousins
- The Kingdom of Nuevo Leon, The Cradle of Coahuila, Tejas and Nuevo Santander - December 7, 2017
- 1816 Baptism of Maria Tomasa Gonzalez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 5, 2017
- Archivo General del Estado de Coahuila Boletín Digital - November 30, 2017
- 1793 Death Record of Jose Balentin de Olivares in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 28, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1753-1763 - November 23, 2017
- 1827 Marriage of Jose Manuel Lopez and Maria Cecilia de la Garza in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 21, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017