In this episode Moises talks about five ways to keep your genealogical data safe, the We Are Cousins community, WorldCat.org, new commenting system at We Are Cousins blog, Find a Grave, and the Spanish Patriots eight volume book series.
This is session number 13
Today I am going to talk to you about the Five Ways to Keep Your Genealogical Data Safe.
Send us your questions or comments to email@example.com.
Book Review at Amazon for Mexican Genealogy Research Online: A Guide to Help You Discover Your Mexican Ancestry
“Lots of information of resources and reference tools. Highly recommend it..”
Link to Amazon eBook:
Help support this podcast by buying any of my eBooks located on the books tab. Thank you in advance I really appreciate you. If you have already purchased one thank you so much you make this podcast possible.
I inherited my grandfather’s journal (Juan Crisantes Hinojosa of Corpus Christi, TX, 1918-1998) from my father recently. He thought that I would take care of it and enjoy it, and he’s right!! My grandpa recorded baptisms, marriages, confirmations, military service, and even people he loaned money out to. The last entry he entered was in 1979, when my grandmother (his wife) died. There are a lot of names of people in here that I don’t recognize (I believe they were family friends). My question is….what would be the best way to put this journal “out there” on the internet? Someone else (besides me) may benefit from it and find something useful. I don’t have an Ancestry.com account, but am on MyHeritage. – Michelle
Moises, I would follow Terry’s recommendation and in the future if you believe that your children will not appreciate this treasure then I would follow Elisa’s recommendation of donating it to your local university where it will be safeguarded. I live in Mission Texas, and can digitize it for you if you need help. AIso if you ever want to share bits and pieces of it you can always make a guest post for We Are Cousins or post it in the we are cousin’s community.
Terry, “have the entire book scanned into pdf pages–staples can do this. Then buy an archival quality box and store it in a cool dry place. Keep the electronic copy to look over as needed.”
Elisa “Just an idea… donated it to the university, the will give you a digitized copy for you and it will be shared with other researchers. They will archive it and keep it safe.”
- Join the We Are Cousins Community
490 members at this moment, like minded individuals, researchers, and just interesting people to interact with.
- What’s new at we are cousins Blog?
Changes that I have made:
Disqus commenting system and also related posts where changed.
- What’s new at Family Search in regards to south Texas and northeastern Mexico genealogical records?
No updates to neither South Texas nor Northeastern Mexico Collections.
- This week’s Tool
WorldCat.com – Find the books you need near you
- This Weeks Online Resource
Find A Grave – Millions of Cemetery Records
Not everything has been indexed.
- This week’s book
Spanish Patriots During the American Revolution, 1779-1783, The 8-volume Series
Volume One and Two are for California Patriots, Volume three Arizona, Volume four New Mexico, Volume Five Texas, Volume six Louisiana, Volume Seven Spanish, French, Dutch, and American, and finally Volume eight Spain’s Patriots of Northwestern New Spain
- Upcoming Genealogical Conferences and Local Society Meetings
35th Annual Texas Hispanic Genealogical and Historical Conference September 25-27
Website: www.southtexasgenealogy.org – Thank You Ofelia Olson for the link.
Local Society Meetings
The Rio Grande Valley Hispanic Genealogical Society meets every 3rd Sunday of the month.
The Nuevo Santander Genealogical Society met this past Saturday and their guest speaker was JOHN R CAMPBELL
- Five Ways to Keep Your Genealogy Data Safe.
Why is it important?
Five Ways to Back up Your Genealogical Data
- USB Stick – Easy Cheap Way
- Internal Hard Drive on your computer – Need expert to install
- External Hardrive – Well worth the investment
- CD/DVD’s –
- Online Services – DropBox, Box, etc…
Help support this podcast by buying any of my eBooks located on the books tab. Thank you in advance I really appreciate you.
Hope that you had fun and until next time, God bless.
More from WeAreCousins
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1753-1763 - November 23, 2017
- 1827 Marriage of Jose Manuel Lopez and Maria Cecilia de la Garza in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 21, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017