Do you know if your ancestor or ancestors where Spanish Patriots During the American Revolution? I first became aware last year that many of us may have Spanish patriots as ancestors, when I attended the Brownsville Historical Association’s Branching Out: Genealogy Workshop 2013.
Presenter Elizabeth Heis: Resgistrar Dubois Hite Chapter DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Vice Chairman Volunteer Genealogist District IX Texas. Her presentation about DAR was excellent and very informative. She also made us aware that the King of Spain requested that his North American subjects donate one peso to the American Revolutionaries to support their cause.
At this time Spain was also at war with the British. She stated that rosters were created with the names of all the people that donated this one peso and it is through them that many Hispanics can also become part of the DAR and also be considered as patriots. To be honestly I never followed up to see if any of may ancestors had donated that one peso, but I have added it to my list of things to do.
Why am I writing this post?
It all started with an email from my distant cousin Margaret Garcia where she referenced one of our ancestors being listed in vol. 8 of Patriots of the American Revolution. I quickly did a search and found the Somos Primos Page dedicated to Spanish Patriots. Bellow you will find the links to all eight volumes for your convenience
Spanish Patriots During the American Revolution, 1779-1783, The 8-volume Series by Written by Dr. Granville and NC Hough
- Volume 1: Spain’s California Patriots in its 1779-1783 War with England During the American Revolution, Part 1
- Volume 2: Spain’s California Patriots in its 1779-1783 War with England During the American Revolution, Part 2
- Volume 4: Spain’s New Mexico Patriots in its 1779-1783 War with England During the American Revolution
- Volume 6: Spain’s Louisiana Patriots in its 1779-1783 War with England During the American Revolution
- Volume 7: Spanish, French, Dutch and American Patriots of the West Indies During the During the American Revolution 1779-1783 War with England
- Volume 8: Spain’s Patriots of Northwestern New Spain in its South of the Border 1779-1783 War with England During the American Revolution
If you are interested in further reading and more articles please visit Somos Primos Page about Spanish Patriots, it is an excellent resource that you should include in your genealogical tool box. Here is the link: http://www.somosprimos.com/hough/hough.htm
If anyone has been accepted into the DAR, SAR, or Daughters of the Republic of Texas please let me know. If you could provide us with your ancestor’s name specially if he or she was Spanish. Don’t forget to add these eBooks to your digital Genealogical library. Finally, I do hope that this post makes more people aware and thus promote more research in this area.
- Lozano, Mimi. Somos Primos “Spanish Patriots in the American Revolution” http://www.somosprimos.com/hough/hough.htm
- Garza, Moises. We Are Cousins “Branching Out: Genealogy Workshop 2013″ http://www.wearecousins.info/2013/10/branching-out-genealogy-workshop-2013/