Anthony Garza has transcribed and index of the Reynosa marriages from 1791-1912. This work is very important and helps fill in a gap for many people researching their ancestors in Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
Anthony mentions in his introduction that this transcription of marriages comes out of the Frank Pierce Cushman collection that can be found on microfilm in the Special Collections Department of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley located in Edinburg Texas.
He also mentions that he made the decision to transcribe the Reynosa marriages to make it more available to genealogists who are unable to travel to see the microfilms. The end result was two volumes that contain the index.
Prior to this the only widely available work containing Reynosa marriages is that of Mario Davila’s “Libro de Matrimonios de Reynosa 1790-1811“. Also another available work is that of the Rio Grande Valley Hispanic Genealogical Society “Reynosa, Tamaulipas, Mexico Marriage Index Book III 1811-1823“.
I was able to view the two copies that Anthony donated to Las Villas del Norte Library and they are a great addition to any home or intuition’s genealogical library. If you have ancestors form Reynosa these are the books for you.
Here are the covers of both volumes:
As you can see from the above image, volume I covers A-K and Volume II covers L-Z. He does mention that I and K were not in the collection and advises to check I last names with the Y’s.
Well, I hope that you found these post useful and informative. Take care and God bless!
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017