This is the first update of the We Are Cousins DNA project. I will be doing a monthly update post to keep everyone up to date of how the project is going on. This posts will also serve to seek out new people to join the project and also to let everyone know of volunteers that we are interested in or looking for.
This project is slowly taking shape and as we anticipated it is a long term project. If this is the first time that you hear about our DNA project let me explain what this project is focusing on. The We Are Cousins DNA Project is for any one interested in Y-DNA and mtDNA research whose paternal and maternal roots are from the States of Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Coahuila, and South Texas.Our main goal is to identify the DNA for every last name found in South Texas and Northeastern Mexico and identify different DNA lineages for any given last name.
Current State of Project
Phase One – Identify as many people as possible that have already tested their Y-DNA and mtDNA with FamilyTreeDNA and encourage them to join the project.
I anticipate to be in this phase for at least one year
New Reports Added to the Project
Crispin Rendon has been doing an awesome job of promoting this project and is a driving force behind it. He has also already made three reports of which two have been posted to the project page.
The first report is about the Y-DNA descendants of Juan Bautista Chapa (if you are a Chapa and have tested your Y-DNA contact me) and the second report is a report that includes the DNA and descendants of Isabel Olea.
I made two reports on my own ancestor Francisco Javier de la Garza. The first one is of the Y-DNA descendants of his and the second report is about the Y-DNA and a ten generation report with documentation linking me to him.
All the above reports are available for download at out main project page at https://www.wearecousins.info/dna
There is a learning curve to making these reports and I hope that with time and as more reports are done they will be fine tuned. In the future I plan on making a video on how to create these reports so you can learn how to do them yourself.
How to join Our Project
If you have tested your DNA with FTDNA please go to this page https://www.wearecousins.info/dna and click the red button to join the project. That’s it you don’t have to do anything else, unless you would like to get more involved.
If you would like to volunteer for this project send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We currently need people that are willing to make reports. We are also looking for volunteers to help verify direct paternal and direct maternal lineages. This would involve getting documentation to verify paternity or maternity generation by generation. You can see an example with this report DNA Report 10 Generations.
The Home for This Project
The main project page is https://www.wearecousins.info/dna you will find everything in regards to this project on that page.
Well that’s it for this update. I’ll post another update towards the end of next month. For now make sure to visit our project page and click on the links, explore the project.
- Censo de Reynosa 1890 - September 19, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Nine - September 14, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eight - September 7, 2017
- 1696 Death Record of Leonor de Ayala in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, mexico - September 5, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Seven - August 31, 2017
- 1778 Baptism of Maria Juana de Dios Lopez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - August 29, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Six - August 24, 2017
- 1806 Church Marriage of Jose Antonio Garcia and Maria Andrea Lopez - June 27, 2017
- Indios, Frailes y Encomenderos en el Nuevo Reino de Leon Siglos XVII y XVIII - June 22, 2017
- 1810 Marriage of Jose Rafael de La Garza and Maria Tomasa Sanchez - June 20, 2017