Always follow up on secondary sources and obtain that original document. A while back I got the baptismal date of January 14, 1741 for my 6th great grandmother Maria Guadalupe Garcia. Well today she came up as the next document to obtain. I browsed the Monterrey baptisms and found it fairly quick. As I was transcribing it I noticed that the name on the baptism was not Maria Guadalupe but Maria Gertrudis.
Luckily for me I cite my sources and quickly found where I obtained the information from. After analyzing the book I noticed that a Maria Gertrudis was also named as her sibling with the same baptism date. I thought that maybe she was a twin and that I needed to look at the previous and next record to locate my ancestors baptism.
Turns out that she was no where to be found. I am assuming that my source has the wrong information. I am fortunate that I decided to not do any research on her parents until I had the document proving her parents were her parents which turned out to not be. I had them listed as Jose Cristobal Garcia and Maria Antonia Garcia.
I had another source listed for her on her marriage date and it was “las Villas del Norte: The Pena Descendancy” by Carol Norquest. She was listed on page 15 so I revisited it once again. Mr. Norquest has her parents listed as Jose Cristobal Garcia and Maria Petrona Cantu. Turns out I already had them through another line and also had another Maria Guadalupe Garcia. I merged the two individuals into one. I also found her baptism date to be 22 Apr 1740 (Source Crispin Rendon) but I still have to look for it. Norquests lists the Index Investigations of Gudalajara and one of Garmendia Leals books as his sources. I checked them both out and the information is solid.
The moral of the story, don’t just get dates make sure that you get a copy of the record since sometimes they don’t exist and or the information is wrong
Guerra, Raul J. Jr., Vasquez, Nadine M., and Vela, Baldomero Jr., Index to the Marriage Investigations of the Diocese of Guadalajara 1751 – 1779 (McAllen, Texas, Munguia Printers, Inc., 1997), University of Texas Pan American, Edinburg, Texas., Pg. 227 #10.
Carrol (Kelly) A Norquest, Jr., Las Villas del Norte: The Pena Descendancy An Interim Report on Secondary Sources Available for Research into the Joseph Antonio Pena Descendancy in Northeast Mexico (1665 – 2001) (Edinburg, Texas U.S.A., Carrol (Kelly) A Norquest, Jr., 2005), pg 15.
Crispin D Rendon, Crispin D. Rendon – Ancestor Book for Moises Garza (3430 Bahia Place, Riverside, CA 92507, Crispin D Rendon, February 9, 2014), Personal Archives of Moises Garza, Pg. 44.
- Censo de Reynosa 1890 - September 19, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Nine - September 14, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eight - September 7, 2017
- 1696 Death Record of Leonor de Ayala in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, mexico - September 5, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Seven - August 31, 2017
- 1778 Baptism of Maria Juana de Dios Lopez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - August 29, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Six - August 24, 2017
- 1806 Church Marriage of Jose Antonio Garcia and Maria Andrea Lopez - June 27, 2017
- Indios, Frailes y Encomenderos en el Nuevo Reino de Leon Siglos XVII y XVIII - June 22, 2017
- 1810 Marriage of Jose Rafael de La Garza and Maria Tomasa Sanchez - June 20, 2017