The Spanish and Mexican Land Grants in South Texas not only go hand in hand with history but also with Genealogy. Land was the reason that many of our ancestors followed Jose de Escandon to populate what is now Northeastern Mexico and South Texas. Later on the Mexican Government gave more land grants stretching up to the Nueces River and beyond. The book “New Guide to Spanish and Mexican Land Grants in South Texas” by Galen D. Greaser will be your go to book when it comes to land grant information.
Cover of Book:
This book contains a wealth of information. Bellow I have copied the contents of the book just so you get a general idea of what you will be able to find within the pages of this book.
Part 1: The History
Once Upon a River: Spanish and Mexican Land Grants in South Texas
– Villas del Norte
– The Visita General of 1767: The Porciones Grants
Hacienda de Dolores
Lugar de Mier
– Large Land Grants North of the Rio Grande (1777-1800)
– Policy Reforms: Royal Grants, 1802-1812
– Unsettled Times: 1810-1821
– Independent Mexico
– The Public Lands ofTamaulipas: The Laws
– Land Grants in Northern Tamaulipas
– A Flood of Fire on the Rio Grande: Change in Sovereignty and Boundaries
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and Texas
Appendix I: The “Blood” Title: Andres Bautista Pereda and Jose Manuel Pereda’s
Appendix II: The Jose Francisco Balli “La Barreta” Grant: A Case Study
Appendix III: “Sal del Rey” and Mineral Rights in Texas
Appendix IV: Opinion on Several Points Related to Real Property in Mexico
Part II: The Land Grants
Explanatory Note for Entries in this New Guide
I really enjoyed reading this book and getting the information that I needed about my ancestor’s land Grants on both sides of the Rio Grande. This Book also lists all the porciones awarded on the Mexican side and not just South Texas.
Luckily for me my local university UTPA had a copy of this book and I was able to borrow it for a couple of weeks. Bellow I will list several places where you can get a copy of this book.
Where to find this book:
- My local University UTPA, check availability.
- Amazon.com, Check if there is a copy on Amazon.
- Look for a library Near You, Check WorldCat.org.
In the comments section of this post please let me know what you find within the pages of this book. Have fun.
- Tlaxcaltecan mtDNA of Polonia Petrona, A 10 Generation Report - October 5, 2017
- The 38th Annual Conference Was Awesome! - October 3, 2017
- Padrones de Reynosa - September 26, 2017
- Censo de Reynosa 1890 - September 19, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Nine - September 14, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eight - September 7, 2017
- 1696 Death Record of Leonor de Ayala in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, mexico - September 5, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Seven - August 31, 2017
- 1778 Baptism of Maria Juana de Dios Lopez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - August 29, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Six - August 24, 2017