Some time back this book was posted at the We Are Cousins group “Herencia Mestena Un Reencuentro con la historia del rancho San Rafael de las Tortillas Guerrero, Tamaulipas”. I did not think much about it since I had not come across any genealogical information about my family in regards to this ranch/town.
Months latter while talking to my uncle Adolfo Garza he told me that after he graduated as a teacher in Ciudad Victoria his first job was at El Rancho de las Tortilla. He stated that it was back in the 1970’s and that he was there teaching for about four years. He also mentioned that he loved the community and that at the time there where over 60 families. This conversation reminded me of the book and thus I found it at my local library. It contained a list of teachers but I did not find my uncle listed there. It seems that he was left out and have no idea why.
If you have any ties to this ranch I highly recommend this book to you. It is full of history and also genealogical information. The family tree starts with Jacinto de la Pena (1694 – 1734) and Ana Maria Guajardo Gutierrrez de Castro (1698 – 1769).
Image of partial cover of book “Herencia Mestena Un Reencuentro con la historia del rancho San Rafael de las Tortillas Guerrero, Tamaulipas”:
The book includes the Following contents:
- La Cuenca del Rio Salado
- Los Primeros Habitantes
- Las Fundaciones
1. Primeros lntentos
2. Los Reales de Minas
3. La Colonizacion en Tamaulipas
4. Estancias Ganaderas
5. Las Misiones o Doctrinas
6. Los Presidios
7. Las Ventas o Estancias
- La Fundacion de la Villa de Revilla
- La Mision y la Iglesia
- Al Ranchito de mis Suenos
- El Origen de los Terrenos
- Una Pagina Regional en la Historia de la Independencia
- Aquellos Tiempos!
- La Fiesta Principal
- Los Maestros de la Escuela del Rancho
- Las Bodas
- La Elaboracion de Colchas
- Los Caminos y las Veredas
- Las Procesiones
- Las Enfermedades
- El Luto
- Mi Tio Rafaelito
- Notas Curiosas
- Los Arboles Genealogicos
The only unfortunate thing is that this book is very rare and if not available for sale. The only way that I was able to read it was by borrowing it from my local university.
Where to get a copy:
- UTPA – University of Texas Pan American (View Availability)
- WorldCat.org – Find book in a library near you. Check Now.
Hope that this book helps you out on your genealogical research.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017