Some time back this book was posted at the We Are Cousins group “Herencia Mestena Un Reencuentro con la historia del rancho San Rafael de las Tortillas Guerrero, Tamaulipas”. I did not think much about it since I had not come across any genealogical information about my family in regards to this ranch/town.
Months latter while talking to my uncle Adolfo Garza he told me that after he graduated as a teacher in Ciudad Victoria his first job was at El Rancho de las Tortilla. He stated that it was back in the 1970’s and that he was there teaching for about four years. He also mentioned that he loved the community and that at the time there where over 60 families. This conversation reminded me of the book and thus I found it at my local library. It contained a list of teachers but I did not find my uncle listed there. It seems that he was left out and have no idea why.
If you have any ties to this ranch I highly recommend this book to you. It is full of history and also genealogical information. The family tree starts with Jacinto de la Pena (1694 – 1734) and Ana Maria Guajardo Gutierrrez de Castro (1698 – 1769).
Image of partial cover of book “Herencia Mestena Un Reencuentro con la historia del rancho San Rafael de las Tortillas Guerrero, Tamaulipas”:
The book includes the Following contents:
- La Cuenca del Rio Salado
- Los Primeros Habitantes
- Las Fundaciones
1. Primeros lntentos
2. Los Reales de Minas
3. La Colonizacion en Tamaulipas
4. Estancias Ganaderas
5. Las Misiones o Doctrinas
6. Los Presidios
7. Las Ventas o Estancias
- La Fundacion de la Villa de Revilla
- La Mision y la Iglesia
- Al Ranchito de mis Suenos
- El Origen de los Terrenos
- Una Pagina Regional en la Historia de la Independencia
- Aquellos Tiempos!
- La Fiesta Principal
- Los Maestros de la Escuela del Rancho
- Las Bodas
- La Elaboracion de Colchas
- Los Caminos y las Veredas
- Las Procesiones
- Las Enfermedades
- El Luto
- Mi Tio Rafaelito
- Notas Curiosas
- Los Arboles Genealogicos
The only unfortunate thing is that this book is very rare and if not available for sale. The only way that I was able to read it was by borrowing it from my local university.
Where to get a copy:
- UTPA – University of Texas Pan American (View Availability)
- WorldCat.org – Find book in a library near you. Check Now.
Hope that this book helps you out on your genealogical research.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017