Jose Felipe de La Pena will be a name that you will run into many times if you are researching the families of Ciudad Guerrero/Revilla, Mier, or Zapata county. His legacy to this areas genealogy research is immense with 20 books. He was an active genealogist and honored with the title of “Hidalgo” by the Bexar County Historical Commission for his contribution to family history in South Texas.
Once you read his books you will find them to be very valuable in part because of the information they contain, but also because of the copies to original documents, photographs, family trees, and introductions. A priceless contribution whose ancestors are found in the pages of these books.
Here Is An Incomplete Bibliography of His Books Since I am Missing Two
- GRANT OF LANDS BY SPANISH ROYAL DECREE 1767 and 1784, Porciones in Zapata County, Revised 2001
- LOS BENAVIDES de Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, y Texas 1619 – 1910, Forth Edition
- LOS CUELLAR de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1753- 1880, Third Edition
- LOS FLORES de Revilla/Cuidad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1751 – 1920
- LOS GARCiA de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1754 – 1919, Fourth Edition
- LOS GARZA de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero Y Ciudad Mier, Tamaulipas 1753-1904
- LOS GUERRA de Coahuila, Revilla/Guerrero, Mier y Laredo, Texas 1602- 1900, Third Edition
- LOS GUTIERREZ de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1730- 1919, Fourth Edition
- LOS LOPEZ de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero y Ciudad Mier Tamp. 1752-1919
- LOS MARTiNEZ de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1752 -1900
- LOS PENA de Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, y Texas 1754 – 1919, Fifth Edition
- LOS RAMiREZ de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, y Ciudad Mier, Tamaulipas 1712 – 1900, Second Edition
- LOS TREVINO de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1757 -1920
- LOS URIBE de Laredo, Revilla y San Ygnacio, Texas 1667- 1919, Forth Edition
- LOS VELA de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1754-1921
- LOS VIDAURRI de Coahuila, Nuevo Leon y Tamaulipas 1740 – 1920, Forth Edition
- LOS VILLARREAL de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1757 – 1900 Second Edition
- LOS ZAPATA de Revilla/Ciudad Guerrero, Tamaulipas 1779- 1900, Second Edition
The only place that I am aware that you can see these books is the University of Texas Pan American. I am sure that these books are the priced possession of researchers and are key of their genealogical library.
This post appeared on the We Are Cousins Magazine for April 2013
please send me a link to find a book or a download I am a descendent of the Peñas from los aldamas, my great grand pa had a total of about 20 children from 2 marriages I m a desc of the 2nd in this second marriage every girl had first name with the letter E, (5) and every boy an R. (3) but they used to go to the jornadas so thru the years they had most of their kids all over N.L. Tx. Tamps. any chance I can get a link to a download or an actual book store or library i cnat seem to get anything in the giggle dept.
Hello Dan, the book you might be interested in is “Las Villas del Norte the Pena Descendency” by Carol Norquest. Youc an read more about it here: http://www.wearecousins.info/2012/09/las-villas-del-norte-the-pena-descendancy-by-carrol-kelly-a-norquest-jr/
Geetings,,,,,,where can I buy the books of the Garza and the Ramirez familiez of Mier & Revilla ?..
I think that border land books by George Farias might have them. Google them out.