The following are seven articles published by various authors on the Rio Grande Guardian’s website. I thought that it would be a great idea to share them with you. They talk about genealogy, history, and current cultural icons. All of them involve South Texas and Northeaster Mexico in one way or another. Hope that you enjoy them.
EDINBURG, January 27 – There were certain other explorers who arrived in what is now Texas following Alvar Cabeza de Vaca and his Spanish soldiers’ landing on Texas soil in 1528.
SAN ANTONIO, January 1 – In sharing with others the beauty of early Texas history, there is an increasing positive response from South Texas folks in particular.
EDINBURG, January 1 – Columnist Lino García, Jr., has penned an op-ed for Guardian readers this holiday period about South Texas Spanish.
EDINBURG, November 22 – When Pánfilo Narváez and Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca along with a few hundred Spanish soldiers landed on Galveston Bay on November 6, 1528, the exploration and the settlement of the territory of Texas brought into this state European institutions that still prevail.
SAN ANTONIO, November 5 – Just over 200 years ago, a town priest in Central Mexico decided to bring justice for all in Mexico, including Texas, its northern province.
García: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
EDINBURG, October 8 – On October 12, 1492, Cristóbal Colón and his Spanish crew aboard three ships, La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, sailed from the mother country of Spain and landed on what later became known as America.
Idea for a Tejano Monument at the state Capitol started at UTPA
EDINBURG, March 29 – It is a little known fact but the idea to build a monument honoring the heritage and contributions of Tejanos at the Texas state Capitol in Austin was born at the University of Texas-Pan American.
The above listed stories come from the Cultura and Border Life sections of the Rio Grande Guardian. These two sections also contain a lot more stories on various topics. If anyone has interesting posts that they know about let me know, I will be posting them on Saturdays.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017