The following are seven articles published by various authors on the Rio Grande Guardian’s website. I thought that it would be a great idea to share them with you. They talk about genealogy, history, and current cultural icons. All of them involve South Texas and Northeaster Mexico in one way or another. Hope that you enjoy them.
EDINBURG, January 27 – There were certain other explorers who arrived in what is now Texas following Alvar Cabeza de Vaca and his Spanish soldiers’ landing on Texas soil in 1528.
SAN ANTONIO, January 1 – In sharing with others the beauty of early Texas history, there is an increasing positive response from South Texas folks in particular.
EDINBURG, January 1 – Columnist Lino García, Jr., has penned an op-ed for Guardian readers this holiday period about South Texas Spanish.
EDINBURG, November 22 – When Pánfilo Narváez and Alvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca along with a few hundred Spanish soldiers landed on Galveston Bay on November 6, 1528, the exploration and the settlement of the territory of Texas brought into this state European institutions that still prevail.
SAN ANTONIO, November 5 – Just over 200 years ago, a town priest in Central Mexico decided to bring justice for all in Mexico, including Texas, its northern province.
García: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
EDINBURG, October 8 – On October 12, 1492, Cristóbal Colón and his Spanish crew aboard three ships, La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, sailed from the mother country of Spain and landed on what later became known as America.
Idea for a Tejano Monument at the state Capitol started at UTPA
EDINBURG, March 29 – It is a little known fact but the idea to build a monument honoring the heritage and contributions of Tejanos at the Texas state Capitol in Austin was born at the University of Texas-Pan American.
The above listed stories come from the Cultura and Border Life sections of the Rio Grande Guardian. These two sections also contain a lot more stories on various topics. If anyone has interesting posts that they know about let me know, I will be posting them on Saturdays.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017