Lately I have been asked this question too many times so I decided to make a blog post detailing exactly who can join the We Are Cousins DNA Project.
To start off, the project is being hosted by Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) so only people that have tested with Family Tree DNA can join off the bat. If you have not tested with them keep on reading.
If you took their Family Finder (autosomal) test you can join the project and get access to a small discount on Y-DNA tests and mtDNA tests (these are the tests that we need). The Family Finder test does not contribute any data to the project but you can still join so that you can get our bulk emails with project updates.
Ideally what we need are people that have already tested their Y-DNA and mtDNA to join the project. The We Are Cousins DNA project focuses on Y-DNA and mtDNA. If you are confused on what these abbreviations mean please go to http://www.dnatestingforgenealogyhq.com/ to get a basic understanding of DNA testing for genealogy.
If you have not tested with FTDNA
If you tested with 23andme and or AncestryDNA there are several ways to join the project.
1. Transfer your RAW data to FTDN for $39.00. Here is an article on how to do that: http://www.dnatestingforgenealogyhq.com/transfer-your-ancestryraw-data-to-family-tree-dna/ just rememebr that these tests are autosomal and are equivalent to FTDNA’s Family Finder Test.
2. You can buy a Family Finder, Y-DNA, or mtDNA kit from FTDNA and once you get your results you can join the project. Remember the ones that contribute data to the project are the Y-DNA and mtDNA tests. You can order your kits here: Order Kits
If You Can’t Afford to Buy A DNA Kit
I don’t want to leave anyone out. The only way you can join the project without testing is by emailing me stating that you wish to join the project but can’t afford a test at the moment. I will place you on a mailing list so that you can receive the same emails that members receive. Also please work on your family trees and send them in to me.
On phase three of the project, if your maternal or paternal line is of interest we may be able to buy a kit for you. Let me be clear, we are not at that level yet but it is something that is on the works. Some members have already contributed money to this fund.
If you are already a Member
If you have already joined the project and have tested your YDNA and mtDNA send me your family lines since we are already on phase two which is generating reports.
We Need More Volunteers
Volunteers will only be assigned to do genealogy work in order to provide reports that are solid and fully documented, so future researchers don’t redo our work but build on top of our work. You don’t have to worry about knowing or not knowing about DNA. If you know how to locate records, we need your help. Send me an email if interested in volunteering.
You can visit our main project page at https://www.wearecousins.info/dna
More from WeAreCousins
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017
- The Kingdom of Nuevo Leon, The Cradle of Coahuila, Tejas and Nuevo Santander - December 7, 2017