A great genealogical and historical resource that we have at our disposal is the Bexar Archives located at The University of Texas at Austin in their Briscoe Center for American History. This collection contains documents from 1717 to 1805. These archives are the official Spanish documents that preserve the political, military, economic, and social life of the Spanish province of Texas and the Mexican State of Coahuila.
Screen Shot of Website
The collection has been broken up into the following five series:
1. Coahuila y Texas Official Publications, 1826–1835
2. General Governmental Publications, 1730–1836
3. Non-governmental Publications, 1778, 1811–1836
4. General Manuscript Series, 1717–1836
5. Undated and Undated Fragments
The Bexar Archives Online is a web based resource that features over 5,000 original documents (23,000 pages) that have been digitized from microfilms. Researchers may browse, by year, the originals and translations, or compare an original and its translation side-by-side. Full-text searching of the translations is also supported.
Area of Coverage of Documents
This picture is great and it portrays at a glance what is covered by the collection. So if your ancestors lived in this area, this collection is well worth checking out.
Visit the Collection
The following URL will take you to the collection so you can start searching for your ancestors.
More from WeAreCousins
- 1692 Marriage of Joseph Villarreal and Maria Oropeza in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 23, 2018
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017