Here is a great book for anyone interested in the County or city of Zapata. It was written by Virgil N. Lott and Mercurio Martinez as a work to compile the history of Zapata county commissioned by the County Commissioners of Zapata county back in 1951.
The reason for this is mentioned in the book as follows,
The action was decided upon due to the inevitable inundation of a part of the county from the waters of the Falcon Dam which will destroy many of the historic landmarks of the county, including the county seat, Zapata, and other villages, many of which were founded in the early eighteenth century by colonists and their children, who were settled on this frontier by Escandon, the great colonizer of all time. The first colony on the north banks of the Rio Grande was at Dolores, Zapata County, Texas, in 1751, and from this establishment many of the present population of Starr, Zapata and Webb counties originated.
Cover of book:
Where to obtain or get a hold of a copy of this book:
- Amazon.com Click here to Buy
- UTPA at the Lower Rio Grande Valley Special Collections, Check Availability Here
- WorldCat.org check for a library near you.
Have you read this book? What was your opinion about it? Let me know in the comments section of this post.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017