Here is a great book for anyone interested in the County or city of Zapata. It was written by Virgil N. Lott and Mercurio Martinez as a work to compile the history of Zapata county commissioned by the County Commissioners of Zapata county back in 1951.
The reason for this is mentioned in the book as follows,
The action was decided upon due to the inevitable inundation of a part of the county from the waters of the Falcon Dam which will destroy many of the historic landmarks of the county, including the county seat, Zapata, and other villages, many of which were founded in the early eighteenth century by colonists and their children, who were settled on this frontier by Escandon, the great colonizer of all time. The first colony on the north banks of the Rio Grande was at Dolores, Zapata County, Texas, in 1751, and from this establishment many of the present population of Starr, Zapata and Webb counties originated.
Cover of book:
Where to obtain or get a hold of a copy of this book:
- Amazon.com Click here to Buy
- UTPA at the Lower Rio Grande Valley Special Collections, Check Availability Here
- WorldCat.org check for a library near you.
Have you read this book? What was your opinion about it? Let me know in the comments section of this post.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017