Doing my family genealogy has thought me that ranching was a very huge part in the family structure. Also my ancestors had been ranching cattle, goats, and sheep for hundreds of years. In fact through both of my parents sides I am part of the first generation that will no longer be cattle men. It is this reason that I just wanted to share with you another great book that I really like. It was written by Joe S. Graham and it is titled El Rancho in South Texas: Continuity and Change From 1750. I am barely half-ways but the information is very valuable.
I know that some of you grew up in South Texas Ranchos and I know this from the emails that I get. I myself was raised not in a South Texas Rancho but in a Northeastern Mexican Rancho just 14 miles away from the border. The similarities in ranching and even the old jacales were the same. Also the stone houses used for fortification can still be found in some Mexican ranches.
Description of book:
This book discusses the history of ranching in South Texas, illustrated with photographs that were part of “the first major exhibit to examine the private cattle ranch in South Texas, held in 1994 in the John E. Connor Museum in Kingsville, Texas” (p. ix). Index starts on page 117. – Texas Portal to Texas History
Cover of book “El Rancho in South Texas: Continuity and Change From 1750”
I hope that this books helps you understand more on how your ancestors made a living and or lived.
There are two places that you can find this book at. The first one is at the Texas Portal to Texas History and Amazon.com.
The Texas Portal To Texas History
Using the following link you can read the full book online and even download the images.
Amazon has thsi book for sale and it starts around $30.00 to buy it used.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017