This message is going out to everyone in my genealogy address book. You need not respond unless you want to be removed from my list.
I found a Web site that states that Jews believe that the third day of the week (Tuesday) is considered an especially auspicious day for a wedding. Below find a weekday accounting of all 4,657 Catholic Church marriages that occurred in General Teran, Nuevo Leon Mexico during the period from 1809 to 1911. I noticed that Tuesday is the least popular weekday for a marriage, far less than Friday which is, in the Catholic Church, a day of abstinence. Could this weekday marriage distribution, in some way, have anything to do with Crypto-Judaism?
General Teran Marriges (1809-1911)
Number of Marriages Day of Week
A complete list of who married whom on what weekday can be found at the Los Bexarenos web site or use the following link:
Where else can you find this kind of analysis?
As you can tell it is very interesting and got me thinking. Growing up my family always had a saying that went “En Martes No Te Cases Ni Te Embarques” meaning that on Tuesday don’t get married nor go on trips since it is bad luck. I thought is was something unique to our family but also growing up I realized that it was a very popular saying throughout this region. It could be that the origins of this saying is Jewish.
Copyright © Moises Garza. All rights reserved. Article may be reused for any purpose, and it is encouraged, as long as it is non-commercial use and it includes this notice. An effort has been made to use materials that provide credit to author or rights holder. If you find anything that should not be listed in this article contact me at email@example.com
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1731-1741 - October 19, 2017
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017