You can never be too safe when it comes to your Genealogical research and all those files that you have been accumulating, scanning, receiving, etc…
If you do not know what Dropbox is. Dropbox is essentially storage in the internet. They give you 2 gigabytes for free and if you need more than that they have monthly plans. I currently have their 50 GB plan since I use it to back up this blog amongst all my other documents.
It is also excellent to transfer files form yoru desktop or laptop into your tablet or cell phone.
Give Dropbox a Try with their Free 2 Gb
First go to www.dropbox.com and download the software and install it and when prompted select create new account.
Then you will get a box with the following options, I recommend for you to get the free account to test it out, then based on your needs you can upgrade this at any time.
Then create a folder on your Desktop named DropBox.
Then on the following screen select advanced.
On your next screen chose “i want to choose were to put my Dropbox” Press change and then find the folder that you just created on your Desktop. Then on your next screen yous leave the default option or change it depending on your needs.
At the end of the setup they give you a quick five image tutorial of what drop box is and how to use it. Pretty straight forward and understandable.
I have all my genealogical data organized in a folder named Genealogy, unfortunately I am way past my 2GB space limit, that folder gets backed up every month to a local server in my house. What I really use Dropbox for is to back up my Genealogy database which is still under a 1 gigabyte, and have it available at a moments notice for download anywhere..
If you think Dropbox is not what you are looking for check this article at Social Times.
More from WeAreCousins
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume 2 - January 18, 2018
- 1673 Baptism of Rodrigo Martinez in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 16, 2018
- Y-DNA Descendants of Capitan Vicente Saldivar - January 11, 2018
- 1776 Death Record of Maria Gertrudis Barrera in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - January 9, 2018
- Kindred Group 2017 Genealogy Year End Report - January 4, 2018
- 1735 Marriage of Joseph Antonio Marroquin and Juana Ynez de Ynojosa in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - January 2, 2018
- 1767 Baptism of Anselmo Perez in Santiago, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 26, 2017
- 1795 Death Record of Jose Gaspar Garcia in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 19, 2017
- Families of Sabinas Hidalgo, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume One - December 14, 2017
- 1685 Marriage of Francisco de la Garza and Gertrudis Ochoa Elejalde In Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - December 12, 2017