Abstracting and transcribing Genealogical documents is very important and sometimes crucial. You always want to verify your sources and what better way than finding an original document and either abstracting or transcribing it. Not to mention that things you will find when taking the time to read the documents, are priceless.
As you may have already noticed I do a lot of transcribing and the following listed resources were fundamental to helping me decipher those old handwritten documents.
I do not intend nor will I do a tutorial on how or the importance of Abstracting & Transcribing Genealogical Documents but I will point you in the right direction, just follow these steps:
- Read Kimberly Powell’s article in about.com where she explains the importance of Abstracting & Transcribing Genealogical Documents. She also explains what each is and its role in genealogy.
- Read and use, Spanish Records Extraction – An Instructional Guide from byu.edu.
- Use Transcript 2.3 or Genscriber depending on your needs, both are free for personal non commercial use. Lately I have just been using Transcript since it helps me get the job done.
Remember always add your abstracts or transcriptions to your genealogical database. i also attach a copy of the image and make sure that I cite it properly for future reference. I hope that this helps you out. Any suggestions on this subject please let me know.
More from WeAreCousins
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1753-1763 - November 23, 2017
- 1827 Marriage of Jose Manuel Lopez and Maria Cecilia de la Garza in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 21, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1742-1752 - November 2, 2017
- 1844 Death Record of Jose Benito Tanguma in Mier Tamaulipas, Mexico - October 31, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Ten - October 26, 2017
- 1684 Marriage of Cristobal Gonzalez and Dorotea Rodriguez - October 24, 2017