I first came aware of Rancho Santa Teresa when I found Martin Garza’s Catholic Church Record at FamilySearch. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this ranch but I have found several clues so far.
My first clue was the same page where Martin’s baptism was recorded. There are two other baptismal records that indicate that the children documented there where also born in Rancho Santa Teresa.
My second clue is Mary Jo Galindo’s Dissertation “Con Un Pie En Cada Lado: Ethnicities and the Archaeology of Spanish Colonial Ranching Communities Along the Lower Río Grande Valley” on pg 142 she indicates that in a partial Census of Mier taken around 1817, which is in private hands, the Rancho is listed as Santa Teresa de Guardado. Unfortunately she does not list the names of the individuals listed but provided the following synopsis of the rancho:
Indivi- Horses Mules
Rancho Name Families duals Goats Sheep Cattle Mares Tame Colts Tame Colts
Santa Teresa de Guardado 14 71 769 2037 16 34 16 3 6 0
Could this be possibly Guardados de Arriva and Guardados de Abajo which are two communities near Present day Miguel Aleman, Tamaulipas, Mexico?
Copyright © Moises Garza. All rights reserved. Article may be reused for whatever purpose, and it is encouraged, as long as it is in its entirety including this notice. firstname.lastname@example.org
More from WeAreCousins
- The Kingdom of Nuevo Leon, The Cradle of Coahuila, Tejas and Nuevo Santander - December 7, 2017
- 1816 Baptism of Maria Tomasa Gonzalez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - December 5, 2017
- Archivo General del Estado de Coahuila Boletín Digital - November 30, 2017
- 1793 Death Record of Jose Balentin de Olivares in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 28, 2017
- Bautizos de La Catedral de Monterrey N.L. Garza y De La Garza 1753-1763 - November 23, 2017
- 1827 Marriage of Jose Manuel Lopez and Maria Cecilia de la Garza in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 21, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eleven - November 16, 2017
- El Arcabuz, Civil Registry Death Records 1925 to 2000 - November 14, 2017
- Bustamante, Nuevo Leon Marriage Records and Family Information 1708 – 1832 - November 9, 2017
- 1811 Baptism of Maria Elena de la Peña in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - November 7, 2017