I first came aware of Rancho Santa Teresa when I found Martin Garza’s Catholic Church Record at FamilySearch. Unfortunately I have not been able to find this ranch but I have found several clues so far.
My first clue was the same page where Martin’s baptism was recorded. There are two other baptismal records that indicate that the children documented there where also born in Rancho Santa Teresa.
My second clue is Mary Jo Galindo’s Dissertation “Con Un Pie En Cada Lado: Ethnicities and the Archaeology of Spanish Colonial Ranching Communities Along the Lower Río Grande Valley” on pg 142 she indicates that in a partial Census of Mier taken around 1817, which is in private hands, the Rancho is listed as Santa Teresa de Guardado. Unfortunately she does not list the names of the individuals listed but provided the following synopsis of the rancho:
Indivi- Horses Mules
Rancho Name Families duals Goats Sheep Cattle Mares Tame Colts Tame Colts
Santa Teresa de Guardado 14 71 769 2037 16 34 16 3 6 0
Could this be possibly Guardados de Arriva and Guardados de Abajo which are two communities near Present day Miguel Aleman, Tamaulipas, Mexico?
Copyright © Moises Garza. All rights reserved. Article may be reused for whatever purpose, and it is encouraged, as long as it is in its entirety including this notice. email@example.com
- Presenting at the Clayton Library in Houston Texas - October 17, 2017
- Tlaxcaltecan mtDNA of Polonia Petrona, A 10 Generation Report - October 5, 2017
- The 38th Annual Conference Was Awesome! - October 3, 2017
- Padrones de Reynosa - September 26, 2017
- Censo de Reynosa 1890 - September 19, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Nine - September 14, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Eight - September 7, 2017
- 1696 Death Record of Leonor de Ayala in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, mexico - September 5, 2017
- Families of Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Volume Seven - August 31, 2017
- 1778 Baptism of Maria Juana de Dios Lopez in Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico - August 29, 2017