The book “Alcaldes de Saltillo La autoridad local, desde Alberto del Canto a los actuales municipes 1577 – 1999″ is an amazing genealogical resource that is if you have ancestors that were from Saltillo Mexico. I know that you will like this book. I found interesting information on several of my ancestors like Alberto del Canto, Santos Rojo, Baltazar de Sosa, Juan Navarro, and Bartolome de Cuellar among others.
For what ever reason this book does not have an author but it is indicated that it was done by the Archivo Municipal de Saltillo. Overall this book is another genealogical gem. Continue reading
The following is the baptism record of my 8th great grandmother Francisca de Cervera Longoria, christened 10 Sep 1675 in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, daughter of Gabriel Cervera and Maria Longoria. It is interesting to note that the priest wrote her fathers last name as Zerbera. I have also seen it spelled Selbera. Continue reading
“Genealogical Resources at the Brownsville City Cemetery Center” That is the title of the presentation that Mr. Gene Fernandez will present to the Rio Grande Valley Hispanic Genealogical Society next Sunday May 18, 2014 at 2:00 Pm. The presentation will be held at the Harlingen Public Library located at 410 76 Dr, Harlingen, TX 78550. Continue reading
As it always happens ,Genealogy Research leads us to discover interesting things. I first came across this Poem on Ancestry.com on a members family tree and was attributed to my ancestor my 9th great grandfather Juan Bautista Chapa.
Depiction of Juan Bautista Chapa
Further research revealed that in fact he did write it into his work titled “Historia del Nuevo Reino de León, desde 1650 hasta 1690″ but as he mentions himself in that same work. He did not compose it. He goes on to state “There is a song that I do not wish to omit, although it may be alien in subject matter to the history. One of the persons who was in the settlement of the French composed a song which was inspired by seeing the tragedy and ruin inflicted by the enemy.” Continue reading
I was recently browsing through the website Somos Primos and came across “El Libro de Matrimonios de la Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de Burgos 1750-1860″ it is basically just an index of all the marriages. I know that some of you may be interested in this genealogical data. Continue reading
Genealogy Research is fun but what makes it better are Genealogy Books. The fifth eBook in the series of Familes of Saltillo, Coahuila Mexico was published yesterday by Crispin Rendon. I know this eBook will be of great help on your genealogy research of ancestors from Saltillo, Coahuila.
Remember, make sure to download it as soon as you get a chance since you never know for how long it will be available online. Continue reading
If your ancestors are from General Escobedo, Nuevo, Mexico or if you are doing genealogy research then this free eBook I came across might be of interest to you. It is titled Gral. Escobedo NL. Apuntes Geograficos. Even though it is not an genealogy eBook it does mention historical facts and also several of my ancestors as the Ayalas from el Topo de Los Ayalas and another ancestor Joseph Trevino. I do hope that it is of interest to you.
Another thing make sure to download it since as it is with eBook ont he internet you never know how long they will be available. Continue reading
I know that you may be interested in DNA testing and I just received an email from Crispin Rendon on this subject. This email is very short but contains a link to a PDF document that I know you will find interesting. Continue reading
The following is the 1635 marriage of my 10th great grandparents Alonzo de Leon and Josefa Gonzalez. They were married in Huichapan, Hidalgo, Mexico. Alonzo was the son of Lorenzo Perez and Adriana de Leon. Josefa’s parents were Antonio Leal and Maria Gonzalez. I am descendant of two of their children Alonso de Leon whom married Agustina Cantu and Antonio Leal de Leon whom married Juana Josefa Gonzalez Hidalgo. Towards the bottom of the post you will also find a listing of Alonso and Josefa’s children. Also if you are one of their descendants and would like for me to add you to my family tree just send me your family tree linking to them.
Cut out of Original Image:
View Original Image
Transcription of above image:
Alo de Leon y Josepa Goncalez
Se belaron en el Veinte y tres de Septembre del ano M seiscientos y treinta y cinco Leydas las Banas. y por verdad. Lo firme Dicho dia mes y ano.
Juan de Velesar
Children of Capitan Alonso LEON and Josefa GONZALEZ were as follows:
- Juan PEREZ LEON, died bef 1701. He married unknown.
- Capitan Lorenzo PEREZ LEON, born 1638 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. He married Maria CANTU, born 1642, daughter of Capitan Joseph CANTU and Maria TREVINO.
- General Alonso LEON, born 1639 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; died 21 Mar 1691 in Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. He married in Nuevo Leon, Mexico Agustina CANTU, born in Montemorelos, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, daughter of Capitan Joseph CANTU and Maria TREVINO.
- Josefa GONZALEZ LEON, born in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; died 22 Feb 1726 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. She married about 1655 in San Nicolas, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Joseph GARZA FALCON, born 1616 in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; died 1671, son of Capitan Pedro GARZA and Ines RODRIGUEZ.
- Juana LEON, born about 1644 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. She married Capitan Juan CANTU, born 1640; died 12 Dec 1681 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, son of Capitan Joseph CANTU and Maria TREVINO.
- Capitan Antonio LEAL LEON, born 1645 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. He married (1) about 1670 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico Juana Josefa GONZALEZ HIDALGO, born 1649; died 10 Feb 1689 in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, daughter of Alcalde Ordinario Bernabe GONZALEZ HIDALGO and Leonor GUTIERREZ GARCIA; (2) Margarita RENTERIA, born 1665 in Valle de las Salinas, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, daughter of Sargento Mayor Diego VILLARREAL and Ines RENTERIA; (3) Juana TREVINO MAYA, daughter of Alferez Real Juan TREVINO and Ana MAYA.
- Francisca LEON, born about 1647 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. She married (1) Sargento Mayor Nicolas CORTEZ MEDINA; (2) Antonio CANTU.
- Mateo LEON, born about 1649 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico.
- Maria LEON, born about 1651 in Cadereyta Jimenez, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. She married Sargento Mayor Carlos CANTU, born 1651, son of Capitan Joseph CANTU and Maria TREVINO.
- Capitan Miguel LEON. He married Francisca AYALA, born 1657, daughter of Capitan Joseph AYALA and Ana BENAVIDES.
- FamilySearch.org, Huichapan, San Mateo Apóstol, Matrimonios de españoles 1622-1703, 1743-1769, Pg 16
- Rendon, Crispin D., Ancestors of Moises Garza, February 9, 2014. Pg. 228 and 229
I came across a very interesting book that was published back in 1873 by Alejandro Prieto. It does mention several of my ancestors but most important it contains important information about the state of Tamaulipas. The title of the book is Historia, Geografia y Estadistica Del Estado De Tamaulipas”. You never know you may just find your ancestors in this book.
This book can be valuable when it comes to our genealogy research since it may provide you with additional clues as to where to look for documents and also a window as to what our ancestors may have had experience politically.
Cover of book:
This book is freely available form Google Books just click on the following link: Get your copy.